Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dmari's Detroit

With all the hoopla concerning the Dateline Special focused on Detroit (which I didn't watch) I think my city is a decent place to live. See I don't live in the same Detroit everyone else does I guess. Well I just may be looking at my home town through rose colored glasses. I know it's crime, drugs and random terrible acts of violence. I see the high teen pregnancy rates, the crackheads, the young thugs and all of the other issues that keep my city from being great. I see the corrupt politicians and the criminal justice system that believes in locking up children with adults. I see it all...but...I also see...
Pete's the restaurant on the corner thriving with my neighbors and  friendly waitresses smiling
the vigilant single mother down the street watching over her children as they play
the young man walking home everyday from work
my next door neighbor smiling at me as I walk my dog
my children falling in love with books as they go to a school of my choosing
thriving black owned businesses up and down East Seven Mile
my librarian happy to show me the new shipment of books
my neighbors laughing and dancing at the yearly block party
grass maintained
parks filled with children's cries of joy
I see my Detroit...
What do you see?
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment